Changes in this Victorian capital’s climate and its occasional extreme weather conditions alone can bring certain obstacles to keeping your house as sparklingly clean as you want it. Add to this the different lifestyles and preferences of the members of your household, and you do have a real challenge in maintaining your home.
But there are techniques and tricks that can lighten up house cleaning for Melbourne homeowners. Total Floor Sanding and Polishing Melbourne offer tips on targeting some of their concerns in home maintenance:
You may find it a joy to keep pets in the house. Or you probably strive to be a coffee or wine connoisseur. While these may keep you happy, they can also make your carpets suffer from stains and make you spend more time doing household chores. Cleaning can be easier, though, if you follow the tips below.
- The first thing to remember is that stains or odours caused by pets and coloured drinks can be tough to remove completely. So the best thing to do is to clean immediately so you won’t give it time to settle in the fibres of the carpet.
- Use a kitchen paper towel to soak the excess liquid that’s still on the carpet.
- Use a mild detergent or a cleaning agent made for carpets and other home fabrics. Be sure to follow instructions on the product label, especially whether you should use it pure or diluted. Also, take note if this is safe or not safe to use on particular materials or surfaces. Blot instead from the outer portion of the stain going towards the centre.
- Stop immediately and call a cleaning professional if you notice any discolouration.
You can’t help but enjoy great food in this city. That means frequent use of your kitchen and, of course, the need to clean it regularly. The question is: how ‘regular’ should you do the total clean up?
- Clean the kitchen sink daily – immediately after each time you wash your dishes. This will prevent grease and odour build-up. Check if the drain is always working normally; if not, use a drain de-clogging product according to instructions.
- The stovetop has to be de-greased and de-odorised completely after using. Naturally, you just have to let it cool down first before wiping with a kitchen cleaner or a detergent that can effectively cut grease. Once a week, at least, check the burners if they are all functioning properly and not clogged.
- Similar to the stovetop, clean your oven after every use and check all its walls and components at least weekly.
Bathroom Mildew and More
The combination of soap, water and dirt on the tiles, the grout, glass, mirrors and the shower curtain can give you a headache when it comes to cleaning – but not if you do a proper routine regularly. Your bathroom is where you’re supposed to emerge feeling clean and fresh, so it can’t have mildew on the floor, brownish spots on the curtain edge and white spots on the shower head.
- Wipe the shower floor and walls dry after every use. Leave the door or curtain open to let the damp air out.
- Do a general cleaning once a week. Scrub the floor, including the grout. Use a mould and mildew cleaner for the corners floors and walls, if necessary. Check the drain if de-clogging is needed.
Humidity is the best friend of mattress mould as it lets this problem live and even multiply. If you’ve got a mould-free mattress still, you can prevent this problem by making sure your room has enough fresh and clean air circulating. Use a humidifier if you must.
- If you already have mould on your mattress, try scrubbing it using a toothbrush and liquid soap. Refrain from using a tough brush and harsh cleaners. You might need to do this more than a few times, depending on how long the mould has been there.
- If it’s really humid in your room or house, but you’ve got some private outdoor space, try to air-dry your bed occasionally. Another option is to use a dehumidifier.
Garbage Disposal Odour and Build-Up
After using your garbage disposal for some time, you may notice some build-up and, at times, a not-so-pleasant odour, even if you’ve been using it properly.
- Ice cubes can do the trick to take out any build-up in the blades. Just drop a couple or more ice cubes into the disposal so the blades can grind them. As a result, it will be a self-cleaning action for the blades. You still need to have the blades professionally sharpened, though, if it’s already dulled after some time.
- You can use a commercial cleaner to remove the odour from the disposal. Or you can put in cuts of lemon or any other citrus fruit. The acidity of these fruits cuts grease and their scent counters most strong odours.
You or someone in your household may be suffering from allergic rhinitis or some kind of allergy triggered by dust, weather change or some other environmental factor. There are some simple tips you can do to help avoid these causes.
- Never use feather dusters or similar cleaning implements. Restrict yourself to using a damp micro-fibre cloth. This will catch the dust and not scatter it in the air.
- Keep your windows open if you’ve used some commercial cleaners so you won’t trap any harsh chemical smells in the house. If possible, use cleaning products that don’t carry any scent or those that are eco-friendly.
- Always be wary of freestanding water inside your house since it promotes the presence of mould and pests.
Daily Green Cleaning Alternatives
If you want to do your part in eco-friendly cleaning, there are easy and inexpensive ways to do it. Baking soda, vinegar and olive oil, three ingredients you usually find in the kitchen can help you with this.
- Baking soda, mixed with a bit of water to form a paste, can help you thoroughly clean vinyl flooring. When combined with vinegar, it can effectively clean those tough stains in the bathroom.
- Wood furniture can be polished by using a combination of olive oil and vinegar. Use a soft cloth to apply the mixture.
Make sure that you don’t do any scrubbing or other cleaning actions too harshly on your floors, furniture pieces, etc. in your home. When there are stains, dirt and other concerns that you think are too tough for you to remove, call us for professional house cleaning service to ensure total maintenance of your home.